Get the best in enterprise-class solutions to pacify your business
Common Data Service lets you securely store and manage data that’s used by business applications. Data within Common Data Service is stored within a set of entities. An entity is a set of records used to store data, similar to how a table stores data within a database. Common Data Service includes a base set of standard entities that cover typical scenarios, but you can also create custom entities specific to your organization and populate them with data using Power Query. App makers can then use PowerApps to build rich applications using this data.
Why use Common Data Service
Standard and custom entities within Common Data Service provide a secure and cloud-based storage option for your data. Entities let you create a business-focused definition of your organization’s data for use within apps. If you’re not sure if entities are your best option, consider these benefits:
- Easy to manage – Both the metadata and data are stored in the cloud. You don’t need to worry about the details of how they’re stored.
- Easy to secure – Data is securely stored so that users can see it only if you grant them access. Role-based security allows you to control access to entities for different users within your organization.
- Access your Dynamics 365 Data – Data from your Dynamics 365 applications is also stored within the Common Data Service allowing you to quickly build apps which leverage your Dynamics 365 data and extend your apps using PowerApps.
- Rich metadata – Data types and relationships are leveraged directly within PowerApps.
- Logic and validation – Define calculated fields, business rules, workflows, and business process flows to ensure data quality and drive business processes.
- Productivity tools – Entities are available within the add-ins for Microsoft Excel to increase productivity and ensure data accessibility.